Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Say something once, why say it again

Aw jeez, three music quotes and two of them are the Talking Heads. This title is doubly appropriate, I guess.

Despite my sense of obligation to this blog having been renewed by Adam's not-so-recent link here, I still don't have much to say, though as my posting trajectory no doubt reveals, I have become increasingly comfortable with the idea of running a traditional style blog. Lord knows I find myself sufficiently captivated by the web-digested details of other people's lives, so wotthehell. We'll see how things go.

In the last few days, things have been going sharply in the direction of video games. What with the problems I've had finding a working computer (I shan't tell you where I'm posting from right now), and with my research project being kind of "up in the air," to put it euphemistically, I am momentarily finding myself in possession of easily-frittered minutes, nay, hours, of free time.
Previously it had been Nethack (an excellent and very clever game), but this has since been displaced by my newest fascination. See, in my ongoing effort to participate in trends long after anyone has stopped caring about them, I have finally climbed aboard the Sims train and whoo doggies is that game addictive.

The absurdity of a game designed to be just like real life has already been discussed ad nauseam, and frankly, I am no closer to figuring out why it is so delightful. I suspect that the lack of effort involved is an important factor (cleaning my own house requires time and labor, whereas cleaning my Sim's takes little of either, and yet it provides a similar sense of accomplishment). Lack of accountability is another. Also, there are clearly defined goals with immediate rewards (The version of I am playing is "The Urbz," in which, much as in real life, one's purpose is to ingratiate oneself around town by imitating people's clothing and dance styles, and then performing favors for them). On a more superficial level, it also appeals to my paired fondnesses for interior design and pictographic communication (A recent conversation: "[headphones]" "[turntable]" "[anarchy]" "[no anarchy]")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home