Thursday, March 22, 2007

We don't need no letter at all

Hey, so there's a problem with my ucsd email; in setting up my new account, they may have temporarily disconnected the old one. If you've sent me anything in the last two days or so, you might want to forward a copy to my other main address: my first and last name (with the space and hyphen each replaced with a period) @gmail.com

I realize I meant to post and tell you about jury duty, but I've been pretty busy. I didn't get put on a case or anything, so I got to start work a week ago. It has been pretty neat so far; I am still definitely getting used to things, which has caused much undue frustration with the gas chromatograph, but I am getting the hang of it. Everyone in the lab is very nice, and for the most part the work is not very demanding, and it is really interesting. The project I am working on right now has to do with people's ability to smell homologous series of alcohols. So like people are more sensitive to octanol than hexanol, and more sensitive to hexanol than ethanol. But for some reason the data seem to indicate that people are far more sensitive to butanol than they ought to be. We can't explain this, so I'm repeating my predecessor's calibrations to make sure that the concentrations weren't just off. Exciting!

Oh, and I took pictures! This is one of the things we use to administer gas; it's definitely the coolest-looking, and I guess it's the main one I'll be working with. In that room there are also a few booths that are good for administering smells over time, and for torturing Mirror Universe Chekov.

1 Comments:

Blogger James said...

NUCLEAR WESSELS

Sat Mar 24, 01:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home