Friday, January 30, 2009

And you know that notion just crossed my mind

I guess I'll talk about NYC already. It's an interesting place, and also kind of a disorienting one. It'd be like seeing the bridge of the Enterprise up close (which, come to think of it, I also did last month); it's alien and exotic, and in many ways completely removed from my everyday life, but on some level nonetheless very familiar, because I've seen and heard so much about it. Far more than I realized, since the pervasiveness of its cultural and media presence is not always apparent. New York's, that is.
The biggest difference was probably the subway system, which was unlike other commuter-type rail systems I've used. I've discussed with some of you my fondness for airports and train stations. When waiting for the plane or train, I feel like I'm taking a little compulsory mini break to read or do whatever, in an often-somewhat-interesting setting; it's almost like lounging in a city in microcosm, bustling and commercial, but one that is also, like, spatially liminal. I have nothing I need to do, and nowhere I need to be until boarding, when suddenly I'm on my way to somewhere far away.
Anyways, being on the New York Subway feels like that, only without feeling like I ever actually leave. Maybe it's because of all the transfers, and the countless indistinguishable stations, but when I'm riding it, it's like I'm still at the station, and then finally I exit at some other station. It's weird.
Plus it reminds me of the opening sequence of the Urbz, so I usually have the Black Eyed Peas' Simlish-language single "Ga Ra Ta Da" stuck in my head at the time.

Oh, which reminds me. I am completely obsessed with Professor Layton and the Curious Village right now. It's just a puzzle game, and in that respect does not particularly stand out among the several hundred puzzle games that have been published for the DS in the last hour or so, but it's so utterly charming that I can't stop playing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home