Saturday, June 02, 2007

I know nobody can do me no harm

I have a new idea for a possible career path: I could study positive psychology. It is one of those rare fields that is both important and interesting to me, and I could probably get into a decent program, given my background. But, man...starting another Ph.D. I still don't know whether I'm ready for that. Still on the table are psychiatry and law (Ig recently mentioned labor law, which is definitely an intriguing option).

Speaking of which, Issa, my roommate, moved out yesterday. He's in Minnesota now, (hopefully) getting a job, and starting law school in the fall. It feels kind of weird; it didn't dawn on me until towards the end, but I lived with that guy for four years. Given that my median roommate duration is something like nine months, that's a pretty long time.

In lighter news, I just ordered some new games. And, much like books, I seem to be acquiring them faster than I'm able to consume them. This summer I would like to try to systematically reverse that trend; I figure if I play two per week, I can put a pretty good dent in my collection. If anyone's interested in helping, I guess what I am proposing is a weekly game night. And heck, since we haven't yet found a replacement roommate, I might even initially be able to host (hopefully we'll have someone by the end of the quarter, but who knows). Also, we're getting the carpets replaced, so anyone who enjoys knocking their drink over is encouraged to indulge their habit.

Matt, I'm looking at you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew J. Brown said...

Is General Semantics a version of Positive Psychology?

Sat Jun 02, 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger Adam Streed said...

Evan - Yes, and yes.

Matt - ... Probably not? Positive psychology is a branch of experimental psych (right, Evan?), and I don't recall General Semantics having much empirical content ...

Sun Jun 03, 01:35:00 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

Cool.


Yeah, I'm not really sure how to answer that. Partly because the two disciplines are temporally disconnected, so it'd be kind of like speculating about the association between Anaximander and condensed matter physics.

Uh, only less so.

They are definitely similarly-aligned (neutral good?), but I don't know enough about General Semantics to say much more than that.

Sun Jun 03, 06:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home