Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm spitting out the bitter pill

Things that have gone really well recently:

1) Colcannon. I won't deny that Matt's custom of putting bacon in everything may have substantially contributed to the dish, but even so, it was far better than one might have expected, given that the Irish basically just decided to give some extra flavor to their mashed potatoes by adding some mashed cabbage (or vice versa).

2) The comic book group. Partly it was just a lot of fun to sit around and chat about these things, but also I heard about a lot of new material that I'm pretty excited to read.

3) Ben and Jerry's. Now, I had seen their "Cinnamon Bun" ice cream some time ago, and sensibly said "ew!" and instead tried their Willie-Nelson-branded peach cobbler flavor, which was outstanding. So too was their Brownie Cheesecake flavor, or whatever it was. My resolve steeled, I finally gave the cinnamon bun flavor a shot, and goddamn would you believe it's good too? Think "cookie dough," but with a cinnamon motif rather than a chocolate one. Ben and Jerry, you will forever be the kings of adding baked goods to ice cream.

Ok, so, speaking of novel gustatory experiences, Synsepalum dulcificum is a plant whose berries contain a protein that binds to one's taste buds and makes bitter and sour foods taste sweet instead. I am so completely trying this; who wants in? I'm serious.

Also some links, for you link fans in the audience: Legal issues surrounding marriage and gender reassignment, and self-portraits by artists who reproduce paintings.
(Both of these are from Jess, who reads boingboing so I don't have to)

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew J. Brown said...

I am in.

The real question is, what will these things make bacon taste like?

Fri May 30, 12:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home