Thursday, March 20, 2008

You don't have to read my mind to know what I have in mind

Some pretty impressive advances in telepathic technology are underway. Voiceless phone calls, EEG video game controllers, and even MRIs that can tell which picture a person is looking at.

Not much is happening here. The quarter is ending, so I'm taking care of Paisley and Falafel while Adam and Amanda are up in Pasadena. It's been one day, and while Paisley has expressed mild curiosity about my presence, they still don't seem to particularly like me. However, they've already figured out that I'm the one who brings food, so I'm hoping this will provide a certain amount of interpersonal leverage.

Let me tell you about my wall organizer, since I haven't been using it, and I'm hoping that talking about it will encourage me to do so. (Also I don't have much else to say.) It's a pretty neat idea, I think...sort of loosely based on GTD and the Hipster PDA, for those of you who know or care about such things.
It's made from a set of those sleeves that one uses to organize CDs in an album, lined up into three columns of six or so. I keep track of tasks by putting cards in each row, so the leftmost space in a row might just have an index card that says, for example, "take care of finances" Then the middle column breaks down the task into smaller ones, with multiple cards that include "pay credit cards," "file tax return" and so on. Then, in the rightmost column, I have cards that break it down even further, describing the very next thing I should do to proceed, something very simple and manageable, like "Call John about 1099-INT." Whenever I finish a rightmost task, I just toss that card and refer back to the middle column and come up with a new "next action" and write it down, so at any time, I know exactly what I need to do and am not intimidated by the massiveness of the overall job. The best part is that when I leave home, I can quickly pull the rightmost cards out and put them in my wallet, and tada, instant portable dynamic to-do list

Okay that was boring. Hey but check out the Aerogarden! Jess has been talking about it, and I'm thinking of getting one with my tax return. Aeroponics

4 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

I've been using a little pocket notebook with a system of semi-organized pages in a loose GTD-style way, and I feel like it's helped my life immensely. Who knew that "writing shit down the right way" would do such a thing! WHO

Fri Mar 21, 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks again for the cat-sitting. Did they ever warm up to you?

Sun Mar 23, 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

I think so. We didn't have enough time together for them to start actively liking me, but Paisley began to express more interest in my presence, and Falafel stopped giving me funny looks all the time

Sun Mar 23, 11:48:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew J. Brown said...

I am totally adopting this system starting today.

Fri Jul 02, 03:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home