Friday, November 30, 2007

The rain can fall upon the flower

I may have told you I would post pictures of my latest orchid to bloom. I haven't entirely succeeded. I was waiting for the whole thing to be all nice and flowery at once, but it turns out that parts of it were already wilting while other parts were still in bud, so it didn't really work out. Here's the general idea, though. The flowers are really tiny and it smells strong; I have read that it smells like either chocolate or vanilla, but I think this is yet another example of the sort of overactive imaginations that prompted them to name it "bird's beak." It smelled like a flower to me.

There's a new Crate and Barrel at the mall, which I was drawn to by its eerie illumination and the desire for teacups. The first floor is basically like a regular Crate and Barrel, except slightly larger (no teacups that I wanted, though), but the second floor is pretty cool to look at. It's like an Ikea for people with more money than me. Still, it's gotten me thinking about getting furniture. Maybe I'll check craigslist.

If I do ever get some furniture (and new carpets), I might finally start having people over, which would be nice, partly because of the all the entertaining things I've been thinking to do. For example:
1) Have people over for meals (oh that reminds me of this site that Lucy found)
2) Iron Bartender
3) (Not necessarily steampunk) tea party
4) Watch City Hunter with people
5) Watch Star Trek 2 (and maybe also 3 and 4 in a row. I realize nobody will want to do this.)
6) Oh yeah, that silly Star Trek mystery thing

Lastly, I had sort of an epiphany recently, one on a par with my discovery that I do not like the taste of spearmint. (This is a big deal because I spent the first 15 or 20 years of my life unaware that it was even possible to dislike spearmint. It's such a basic and ubiquitous flavor, it'd be like not liking cinnamon or strawberry. Moving along.)
I have realized that Wii Bowling is the absolute worst Wii sport. I mean, it goes without saying that all there is to it is making a hand gesture 10 or 20 times in a row (and if someone makes this gesture with unusual precision and consistency over the course of three or four frames, that's pretty exciting and we cheer). But, really, the fact that you can make a game out of pointless gestures and have it be fun is sort of the premise of the Nintendo Wii.
My real complaint is that there's never any variation, except insofar as one might have to pick up slightly different spares. What prompted this realization was thinking about Wii Golf, which, though widely held to be one of the lesser Wii sports, turns into a pretty good approximation of Wii Bowling when you strip away the wind and terrain and play ten holes on a perfectly linear course. Boring.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Bowling is definitely the one I do the least of. In fact, I pretty much exclusively stick to the boxing and the tennis, unless people are over who want to do the bowling for some reason. BOXNIS 4 LYFE

Fri Nov 30, 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

I agree with you about Wii bowling.

Also Evan do you have any Miss Singapores? (I think it is a dendrobium.) Cause those are great.

Wed Dec 05, 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

I am pleased that the Internet has stepped in as the voice of reason...certain people in San Diego seem to think Wii bowling is the pinnacle of Wii sports.
Tennis, to my mind, is indeed probably the best, but I suck at it.

I don't have any Miss Singapores, but there is something similar-looking at the store that I am routinely tempted by. I don't know what it's called, but the flower is the same sort of shape, and instead of being fuchsia all over, it's mostly this sort of regal purple color except towards the very middle.

Wed Dec 05, 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

Vaginal!

Wed Dec 05, 06:22:00 PM  
Blogger K said...

I enjoy Wii bowling, since it was the one thing I could do consistently fairly well.

Also if I am in the area I am totally down for a Star Trek marathon.

Mon Dec 24, 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home