Tuesday, November 20, 2007

and through many dreadful nights

Oof, long day at work today. Mostly the equipment is just being cranky, which means my subjects got to sit around while I fretted over gas flow meters.

I guess when I see it in text like that it doesn't sound all that terrible.

Lately I've been playing the Scrabulous application that's been developed for Facebook. Now you too can play incredibly slow games of Scrabble over the Internet! It's actually kinda nice; I get to log in and play a turn every day or two, so I have about three games going at once, and am only being brutalized in one of them. And I've been reading a lot about Scrabble.
Competitive Scrabble is pretty weird in a lot of ways. First, much like chess, it's very different at the high levels, and involves a whole lot of memorization. For instance, one will want to know all the 2-letter words (there's about a hundred), the words with all vowels, and the words with Q but no U. Actually, this last one has become less important since 2006, when "Qi" was added to the official list, making an un-U'ed Q much less of a burden. That's the most interesting thing to me: the ways that tiny little changes can affect overall gameplay. This also shows up in the differences between the game as it's played in North America and on other continents. Aside from using slightly different word lists, the stakes for challenging a word that you think is incorrect are much higher over here, so it is legitimately an option to make up words, and it is up to your opponent to decide just how confident he or she is that "zarfs" is not actually a word.

Sorry, that was probably boring. This probably is too: Patron Saints! I forget why I was reading about patron saints, but I have a lot of really random ones bookmarked, such as Saint Expeditus, the patron saint of procrastination, and Saint Quentin, whom the prison was apparently not named after. Also if you are a beekeeper, then you have a whole bunch of saints to choose from, including Saint Valentine, of commodified love holiday fame.

Lastly, I keep meaning to show you this, but don't think I have yet. Maybe I did and forgot about it. Also on the subject of senses, and even the one I work on, is this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Eve is delivering to me an unmaking via the medium of Scrabulous, as though my cells had never come together to form a person in the first place.

Those articles are damn interesting.

Wed Nov 21, 09:32:00 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

you know she was nationally ranked in 2005

zoha is nonetheless curbstomping both of us and james. why am I playing with these people

Fri Nov 23, 03:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home