Thursday, August 30, 2007

You must follow, leave this academic factory

A while ago I went to the department's business office down in Hillcrest, and the young woman I spoke to at the front desk gave me a curious look and asked if I had TAed logic several years ago. This was surprising if for no other reason than the fact that hardly anyone actually attended those logic sections, since they were optional and people generally underestimated the difficulty of the course. But also I guess I just never think about how many former students of mine are running around...it must be...jeez, at least 500 or so?
Yeah, so come to think of it, I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often. But it does remind me of another, weirder coincidence: it turns out that both of the PIs in my lab have kids who went to Pomona. If you have ever speculated about the existence of some kind of massive secret creche created for the upbringing of academia's offspring, I am pretty sure it is over by the 10 freeway and Indian Hill.

About a month ago, I succumbed to weakness and went to McDonalds to have a mushroom and swiss hamburger. Now, after doing so, I was all ready to wax poetic about the inexplicable magic of the crappy fast food joint mushroom and swiss burger, describing, in loving detail, the mysterious process that joins substandard meat, cheese, and mushrooms into something wonderful, via an alchemical transformation that transcends human understanding. Then, a few days ago I had another one and discovered that a thick layer of mayonnaise or some other fat derivative, in which the mushrooms were suspended, was masquerading as part of the swiss cheese. Shows what I know about human understanding, I guess.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

That mayonnaise took part in this deception is no surprise to me!

Fri Aug 31, 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

I am glad you have come around to the fact that mayonnaise can make things completely delicious.
(even when it must do so through subterfuge)

Sat Sep 01, 02:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home