Wednesday, June 20, 2007

and nothing gets me down

As before, I'm testing subjects, and have nothing to do for lots of five-minute intervals. Maybe I can get them to give me a copy of Excel for my laptop, so I can be productive during this time.

So, I was at Target the other day. I don't go there often, because, as you either already know or don't care, the closest one is way down at Genesee and Balboa. While there, I was reminded of a problem I have, a crippling tendency towards overpreparedness. Now, those of you who have spent much time with me may protest "but you're one of the most consistently ill-prepared people I know! You openly defy such rudiments of preparation as writing papers in advance, recharging your phone, and wearing shoes in inclement weather." And while this is kind of rude of you, it is essentially correct. However, I also have a fiercely obsessive streak, one that tends to fixate on outlandish possibilities.

So, for example, when presented with a choice between a set of heavy-duty jumper cables, and a set of shorter and slightly less heavy-duty jumper cables jumper cables that also included a tow rope, a rain poncho, duct tape, and first aid supplies, I had to seriously weigh the possibility of needing rain protection or towing capabilites against that of needing those extra six feet and 100 amps of cable. Eventually I went with the more absurdly comprehensive set, of course. I also got a stud sensor, because you never know when you might need to find studs. Honestly, I'm surprised the need hasn't come up more often already, but I guess I've just been lucky.

This neurotic refusal to be caught off-guard by such possibilities as rain, minor injury, or the absence of duct tape, incidentally, is my biggest weakness when playing games like Magic and Starcraft. In the former, I'm choosing cards, and wondering whether I'd rather have Death Ward, or the nearly-identical-in-effect Indestructible Aura. Since I can think of ample circumstances in which I'd need one of those cards but not the other, I usually end up using both, and my deck's careful architecture groans and ultimately collapses under the weight of my profligate drafting. Likewise in Starcraft, I can either recklessly expand my mining operations and then hedgehog my way in to the enemy's base with about 50 zerglings, or I can very cautiously fox my way over with an army that is perfectly balanced against every possible defensive contingency, and undoubtedly saddened to receive the news that its home base was attacked and destroyed half an hour ago. By zerglings.

Anyways, now you know how to beat me at Starcraft. And who to call when your battery's dead. (300 amperes or fewer, please).

One more thought, in closing: when you go to Target's baby registry, it is on a part of their website called "Target Baby." I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with this phrase.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home