Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A tear of petrol is in your eye

A more interesting post will be along in a bit, I'm sure, but for now I thought I'd tell you what just happened with my car. Some months back, a very bad person hit and ran it while it was parked out on the street. Being me, I only now took it in to be repaired. A discussion with my insurance company reminded me that although I do have comprehensive coverage, there is a $500 deductible. Given that the damage (which most of you have probably seen, and can attest to its insignificance) amounts to a scratch along the side and a slightly dented fender, I figured that the repair costs might well not exceed this amount. And so I had been thinking I might well scale back my coverage, since I am paying a lot and not apparently getting very much for it. This was until the estimate came back today at one week's repairs, costing $2400. Do I just have no idea how much it costs to fix a car, or is this part of some shady attempt to get my insurance company to pay some unreasonable amount of money (as happens with, for instance, medical insurance)? I mean, jesus, it's a good thing the guy didn't slightly dent both fenders, or the car might have been a total loss.
Regardless, I'm keeping my current policy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home