Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Hearts full of youth, Hearts full of truth

Matt's comment has prompted me to continue to extol the virtues of this drink. Having just now tried the ingredients separately, I am that much more impressed at their synergy. On its own, the rum is not entirely unlike the experience of being bludgeoned over the head with a brandy-soaked stalk of sugar cane, and the falernum might well be the main ingredient in those clove flavored jellybeans that I get at Easter. (Perhaps you know the kind. If not, all you really need to know is that they are ordinary-looking jellybeans that taste like cloves. They are pretty good, if one is expecting them, and pretty startling if one is not.) But together they become something subtle and magical, though very sweet after about 3/4 of the way through a glass.

Anyways, in answer to the aforementioned comment, I will be free to share this drink as soon as I feel I've made adequate headway on this here grading. I'll also bring over some of the Ontologically Puzzling Olives, and we can have Vague Martinis as well.
Backstory for those of you whom I have not harassed with my olives: the question is whether a drink made with onion-stuffed olives is a martini or a gibson. Having consulted with several experts on cocktails and metaphysics, the consensus seems to be that it is a martini. However, the category Martini seems to be vague in other respects as well. For instance, is a very smoky vodka martini really a martini, or is it a species of Rob Roy? These are important questions, people.

(These are not actually important questions, and I will do my best never to bring them up again)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home