Friday, February 17, 2006

I will choose a path that’s clear / I will choose free will

Hello!
More links!

This is probably the best part of McSweeney's, and further proof that food is indeed hilarious.

Have I linked to the department's philosophy blog yet? This stuff is basically what I do for a living.

Here is a video of an honest-to-God Transformer.

Andreas Katsulas was way cool. I am sad.


Also here's one of my favorite things I've read about the compatibilist project, from Frank Jackson's From Metaphysics to Ethics:
"What compatibilist arguments show, or so it seems to me, is not that free action as understood by the folk is compatible with determinism, but that free action on a conception near enough to the folk's to be regarded as a natural extension of it, and which does the theoretical job we folk give the concept of free action in adjudicating questions of moral responsibility and punishment, and in governing our attitudes to the actions of those around us, is compatible with determinism. There is, accordingly, an extent to which the compatibilist is changing the subject, but it is a strictly limited sense. For compatibilists do, it seems to me, show, first that the folk concept of free action involves a potentially unstable attempt to find a middle way between the random and the determined, second, that the folk conception is nowhere instantiated, and, third, that a compatibilist substitute does all we legitimately require of the concept of free action. It is hard to see how we could better motivate a limited change of subject" (p. 44-45).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home