Monday, January 16, 2006

My shadow is a Monday

My having spent a goodly portion of last Monday's entry heaping scorn upon the "next blog" link apparently had the net effect of convincing everyone to try it out and see for themselves just how great it is. "But no," I attempted to explain. "The point, you see, is that it isn't great. Rather, it is dumb."
There's just no reasoning with some people, I guess.
So I tried it for myself. And yeah, it's pretty good. My first click inauspiciously led to a service that attempted to sell me...I forget what. I subsequently found a political site that was nearly as interesting as the advertisement had been (indeed, I'm reluctant to describe it as such, as no substantive political views were actually expressed on the first page of entries, except that liberals are bad people and that it is good to quash whatever their unspecified agenda might happen to be. Political discourse has been taking an interesting turn lately.). But then it started to get good. There was a page with some really nice travel pictures, something in french, the first entry in a brand new blog that described, in flowery (literally) language the human need to confide one's secrets, etc. So uh, I guess I take it back. Next Blog, you are okay in my book.

I suppose it's time for me to finally talk about classes a bit. I wound up rather aggressively pruning my schedule in order to preserve my sanity; even now it looks like there's a lot on my plate. I stuck with the Happiness seminar, and Andy's Madness thing, both of which should be really fun and relevant to my work. But my TAship is looking like it will consume the bulk of my time (they're estimating 22 hours a week, and I can see it going well over that unless I stay vigilant), and I have this Legislative Liaisoning deal on top of that, oh, and I should really get on that whole advancing to candidacy thing at some point. Honestly though, I'm at my best when I have too much work to do. Just you watch.

Oh crap, I almost forgot about the point of this entry, which was to mention that Becky and Steve came down to UCSD to perform at an art show. It was fun, as always. The venue made for a nice change of pace; it was very cozy, if sterile, unlike the other places I've seen them, which, interestingly enough, were grungy yet impersonal. Perhaps as a result, Becky was a bit chattier; we got to hear more of her jokes and endearing banter than usual. (at this point I'm debating whether to link to this review and mp3s, because the thing is that the recordings don't really capture the experience...I feel like in order to appreciate it, one needs the discussion and the pointing and the clothes and the dancing and the peace on earth, and--actually, uh, most of you were there. So at this point either I'm talking right past you, or else you already know everything I was going to say. Oh well.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home