Saturday, December 24, 2005

New car caviar four star

Yosemite was nice. We got cabins on account of the weather (it was raining when we got in; not cold enough for snow at our elevation). We stayed mostly in the valley, but took in a bunch of the sights and generally had a lot of fun and ate and hiked ourselves silly. The waterfalls are no less lovely in the winter, and everything looks cooler and more picturesque with a nice little bit of snow on it. You may think I'm exaggerating, but it's true. Everything looks cooler. Go on, find me a counterexample. I dare you.

So, this afternoon I was introduced to the Museum of Jurassic Technology. If you have never been, go. It is this weird sort of dimly lit, labyrinthine museum of quasihistorical curiosities accompanied by eerie music and gratuitous german voiceovers. There are all sorts of things that are cool to look at, like collections of microscopic butterfly scale mosaics, ruined celluloid dice, and 3-D floral radiographs. There are quaint and apocryphal scientific ideas, like a "Model of Obliscence" and the story of a bat that can fly through matter using x-rays. And then there are dioramas of trailer parks, which uh
yeah I don't know what that was about

Afterwards I finally finished my shopping. I have a confession to make: I kind of enjoy last-minute holiday shopping. The stress I can do without, but I love that thrill of efficient accomplishment that one gets from hunting down one gift after another. Also people tend to be unexpectedly nice, and when I'm worn out, I can treat myself to a gelato and some tea or a little window shopping. Basically I am just a huge consumer tool, is the thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home