Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The things that pass for knowledge I can't understand

I'd like to open with this little gem from the fictional Téodor Orezscu:

"Lately, I've been trying to pin down what makes an 'Asian' flavored coleslaw tick (don't you just love how since the Blog Quality Bar has been set so low, I can mention this entirely without a segue, and it will seem like high literature simply because there are no misspellings and you can't tell which band I'm listening to?). "

In that spirit, here's a series of totally unrelated things:

Continuing with the obligatory blog navel-gazing (although this time I guess I have someone else to look at my navel for me (uh...)), here's a list of blog mistakes (linked to in Adam's comments by John-Carlos). It is now my mission to violate as many of these strictures as possible.

Deflexion is the board game that last night apparently made me exclaim "Ooh! The one with lasers??!" I think it's been mentioned in Wired or something.

Oh, and lastly, Google Hacks are pretty old news, but are worth mentioning nonetheless. My favorite is the Word Color one, which searches Google Images for a given word, and uses the results to determine "what color that word is." Unsurprisingly, "sea" is blue, "pain" is kind of reddish, and "fuchsia" is basically fuchsia, but you can get weird results too, like "white," which, at present, is a dull yellow (nearly the same color as "sadness," actually) and "perceptual content," which is emerald green.
This here is like the Internet's ultimate consummation. Here you have the largest stockpile of useless information that has ever existed, and now there are ways of systematizing the data, analyzing it, and extracting new useless facts about the information. It's pretty awe-inspiring, in a way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew J. Brown said...

Man, windows only! Sucky!

Wed Dec 07, 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home