Thursday, September 28, 2006

Don't want no Captain Crunch don't want no Raisin Bran

I have recently realized that I have a faintly masochistic reationship with cereal. It probably developed out of the fact that, historically, Grape Nuts were the only cereal that I could eat for breakfast without being pretty much famished before 11. My guess is that I decided at some point that any cereal that could not seriously injure a person at high speeds just wasn't worth the effort of eating. I was not really consciously aware of this, mind you, but when I was shopping for cereal on Sunday--having forgotten that the first Sunday of the quarter is the day on which Trader Joe's has been maximally pillaged by swarms of locusts, tribbles, and undergrads--I was more aware than usual of the selection criteria that I applied to the few surviving boxes. And I have come to the conclusion that, as far as my preferences are concerned, Apparent Tastiness is second only to Resemblance to a Block of Wood.
You may have noticed that these two criteria are somewhat at odds with each another. For what it's worth, due to the sugar content, their oat bran flakes aren't bad, but their high fiber multigrain medley is.

Oh yeah, and you may have seen this here graph. Here's another one. Yaaaay.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with you on the cereals. TJ's Toasted Oatmeal Flakes are pretty good---high crunch factor, slightly sweet---but they don't have the lasting power of, say, Ralphs's Bran Flakes (how do you pluralize 'Ralphs', anyway?). Definitely stay away from TJ's Soy & Flax Clusters (mealy and bland), and anything they've labeled 'high energy'. The High Fiber-Os are pretty solid, though, once you get used to their odd combination of texture and sweetness.

Fri Sep 29, 12:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home