Saturday, November 04, 2006

I trust I can rely on your vote

So, I tried to post something a few weeks ago, but the blogger thing was acting screwy. Oh well, excuses excuses. As part of my recent campaign to inch my way up off my tuchus, I signed up to work the polls on Tuesday. Yesterday I was trained to be a Touchscreen Inspector (or "Telephone Sanitizer," as I keep thinking of it), and I now have four of the dang things sitting on my floor. Actually, that brings to mind two nice things I have discovered about voting:
1) I find the process to be endearingly populist in various aspects of its organization. The fact that I'll be loading up the machines into my car to set up a polling station with a few random people in someone's garage lends it a sort of folksy grassroots feel, as do the ceremonial elements of what we do...for example, the first voter of the day gets a tour of the facilities, to double-check that the ballot box hasn't (yet) been stuffed, that sort of thing. Apparently there are people who line up for quite some time in advance for the opportunity. I'd say they're crazy, but they're still not waking up as early as I am, so there you go.
2) Reassuringly enough, of all the many possible sources of electoral fraud that I could think of, actually very few of them involve the voting machines. There's a pretty good paper trail and such.

Also I've always says "die-bold," but it turns out it's actually "dee-bold," being German I guess

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home